My other half is a veggie and he loves Moussaka.
Me on the other hand can take or leave it. I think for the years I was vegetarian, I have lots of bad memories of being served Vegetable Moussaka with slightly tepid, rubbery Aubergines, that frankly tasted like flat tyres, so yes, I have always been a little less than enthusiastic about Moussaka.
This however, is a recipe from Katy Beskow’s 15 Minute Vegan Comfort Food, which I genuinely cannot recommend enough. Nearly all the recipes are things I think I would like to cook and eat, and it feels in no way limited by being a vegan cookbook. I have adapted some of the recipes to be Vegetarian (mainly by adding cheese!) and this is a really great, quick way to get a genuinely good Moussaka flavored dish on the table in no time at all.
There is also something really nice in assembling the dish at the table to the portions of each element as you see fit.
- aubergines 2, sliced into 1cm rounds
- olive oil 2 tsp
- tomatoes 4 large ripe, halved
- flat-leaf parsley a handful, roughly torn to serve
- olive oil 1 tbsp
- onion 1, finely chopped
- garlic 1 clove, crushed
- ground cinnamon ½ tsp
- smoked paprika ½ tsp
- dried oregano ½ tsp
- chopped tomatoes 400g tin
- green lentils 400g tin, drained and rinsed
- Marmite 1 tsp
- unsweetened soya yogurt 8 tbsp ( I used Sour Cream -but keep to Soya yogurt if you want to keep to the vegan recipe)
- freshly grated nutmeg a pinch
- extra-virgin olive oil a drizzle
Happy eating x o