This is a recipe from the brilliant 15 Minute Vegan by Katy Beskow. A new 15 Minute Vegan on a Budget is due out in January, and I am hoping it will be as good as this recipe book.
I love cooking veggie/vegan food from scratch, but like most people I don’t always have the time or more often the energy for long, complex recipes so I have found this book fantastic for in the week meals especially but also there are some great recipes for the weekend.
This is a perfect after work meal, it takes about 10 minutes and is really tasty. The below makes one flatbread, so just increase the amounts for more.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tsp harissa
- 1 large flatbread
- handful of baby spinach leaves
- 1 tbsp of pine nuts (I used more because I love pine nuts)
- 1 tbsp of pomegranate seeds (I used more)
- A handful of torn flat leaf parsley
- Juice of a lemon
- Heat the oil in the frying pan over a medium heat, and cook the onion until softened and golden.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Mix the harissa and tomato puree.
- Spread on the flatbread – after placing the flatbread on a baking tray.
- Scatter over the leaves, drizzle with virgin oil, spoon over the onions and scatter with pine nuts.
- Bake for 5-6 minutes, then scatter with the pomegranate and parsley.
- Finally to serve squeeze a little lemon juice over.
This is a perfect after work supper, or a quick treat for lunch. Goes nicely with a beer!