Seasonal eating in spring, is fresh, bright and full of delicate flavors. Spring greens, are one of the staples of the season and this is a wonderful recipe for packing as many of them as possible into one tasty dish;
- 250g lasagne verdi sheets
- 600ml whole organic milk
- 2 onion, diced
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 100g butter, 80g for sauce, 20g for the filling
- 55g plain flour
- 200ml double cream
- ½ nutmeg, grated
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 500g leeks, halved lengthwise and cut into 5mm slices
- 500g courgette, coarsely grated
- 5 cloves garlic , grated
- 25g fresh basil, finely chopped
- 450g spring greens, sliced into 1cm strips
- 250g ready to eat puy lentils
- 1 good handful parmesan
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6 and butter a lasagne dish, roughly 20cm x 28cm. To infuse the milk, pour it into a saucepan and add one onion, peppercorns and bay leaves. Place on a medium heat and bring to the boil, then turn off the heat and leave for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, for the filling, place a large saucepan over a gentle heat and add the olive oil and 20g butter. Sweat the other onion and leeks until soft, but not colored. This should take 10 mins. Add the courgette, garlic and basil and cook for 10 mins more until the courgette has softened and a lot of the moisture has evaporated. Stir to prevent burning.
- Add the spring greens and cook for 5 mins, until wilted. Stir in the lentils, season and remove from the heat.
- Strain the milk through a sieve into a jug and discard the aromatics. Rinse the saucepan and add 80g butter and flour over a medium heat. Stir into a paste and cook for 2 mins, stirring all the time. Add a splash of the milk and whisk in. Repeat until you’ve whisked in all the milk and cook for 2 mins. Pour in the cream, add the nutmeg, season and remove from the heat.
- Evenly spread a third of the veg mix in the base of the lasagna dish. Top with a quarter of the béchamel and a layer of lasagna sheets. Repeat until you have three layers and use the last of the béchamel to cover the pasta, then grate parmesan over. Place onto a baking sheet and bake for 25-30 mins until bubbling and golden.